View Single Post

Old 09-23-2020, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,637 Times in 3,157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
If you are really looking to duplicate the Kraft blue box mac and cheese, what you need to do is cut the cheese down to almost nothing. And use emulsifiers instead of making a roux. That blue box product contains "cheese dust," not real cheese. Federal food programs do not even allow it to be used because it contains so little real protein.

Pick up a box at the grocery and read the ingredients. You will see what I mean.
I'm reading the ingredients off the box at home. It is a duplicate of what I found on the Kraft website, so I'll post a copy/paste here:

Quote:
ENRICHED MACARONI (WHEAT FLOUR, DURUM FLOUR, NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE [IRON], THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID); CHEESE SAUCE MIX (WHEY, MILKFAT, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, SODIUM TRIPHOSPHATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF CITRIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, WITH PAPRIKA, TURMERIC, AND ANNATTO ADDED FOR COLOR, ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE).
SHOW LESS
No cheese dust. It's cheese sauce mix. The ingredients to make the cheese sauce mix, are juuuuust about the same as the ingredients to make yellow cheddar cheese.