View Single Post

Old 09-24-2020, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetD View Post
Everybody says they really like my Mac and Cheese. I make it for lots of pit licks and family holiday meals. Reading the recipes above this seems much simpler. I am not a fan of a very creamy mac and cheese. I also like a very sharp cheddar not a soft or sweet type taste from certain cheeses mentioned in other recipes.

About 2/3 box Barillo elbow macaroni. Cook al dente.
Grate 2 blocks of aged Irish cheddar cheese and 1 block of extra sharp cheddar. Best fresh grated not the pregrated pkg. Mix cheeses together well.
Mix and heat slowly about 2/3 cup of half and half, 2 tablespoons butter, and nutmeg to taste (about a 1/2 tsp) I do not use flour so it's not really a roux but you could. I don't feel it needs it.
Butter a glass baking dish. I prefer a deeper dish vs a longer one that will make a thin layer.
Cover bottom with one layer of Mac then a thick layer of cheese alternate layers of Mac and cheese until the dish is full and pour the warm milk mixture evenly over the top.
Bake at 375 for about 40-45 minutes until nicely browned.

Thank you...I'm now thinking that maybe it's the lack of really sharp aged cheddar that I may be missing....