Thread: Math Problem
View Single Post

Old 09-28-2020, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,833 Times in 5,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaelane View Post
I'm a retired math professor and I do agree that 15 minutes can be seen as a 100 percent improvement on 30 minutes. You fell asleep twice as fact. When something doubles it is 100 percent "better" (or worse, depending one what you are measuring). Another way to look at it - you went from -30 to -15, because you are in the negatives while awake - just a different model here, not necessarily the only way to look at it. A lot of this is predicated on how models are set up and which variables are accepted as "initial" and which are considered negative/positive. There are options in how to set up the problem. Relaxium is not telling us their chosen problem set-up.
Thanks. I was not a math professor, but I got straight A's in math from grade one through graduate school. To me, doing something "faster" means that you do it in less time than you would normally take to do it. So, the maximum percentage that you can reduce the time is 100 percent, which would mean that you do it in no time at all. But, it is impossible to do anything more than 100 percent faster than you normally take to do it, unless you believe in the concept of negative time. Just my opinion.