View Single Post

Old 10-02-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramaluz View Post
American Integrity has once again raised our yearly home owner policy by 1300 dollars!
2 years ago it was 857.00 last year we had one claim for a water leak in 18 years .it then went up to 1,121 this year it is 2,418 and no claims! Did every one experienced such an increase?
Have American Integrity, have been extremely fortunate to have never have had a home owner's claim ever, with any company we've been with (American Family, State Farm, and Horace Mann in other states on other homes). American Integrity more than doubled our last annual premium, from $847 to just short of $1700. Was told even though we have never even had any contact with them (our "agent" prefers on line communication and bill paying only directly to American Integrity, never wanted any personal contact or direct communication even before the virus), but seems the "roofing" scam going around ALL of Florida, where people with roofs that are near, or at the end of their useful lives (18 years, 20, etc.) turn in scam claims of "storm damage". The door to door solicitors representing roofing companies even supply the dates and make out the "claims". Due to Florida's insurance laws, it is much cheaper from insurance companies to simply honor the claim, an since an 8 to 10K roof is going to cost them roughly half of that. It would be much more expensive to go to court since the insurance company could be paying attorneys for years if all the legal procedures for delaying are used. At the per hour price this would run far far more than a roof that the wholesale cost could be as low as 5K. So the scam goes on. The only "losers" in this situation are those of us who refuse to accept the "free" roofs offered to us, or, whose homes are just too new to even consider the need for a new roof. This is not germane to the Villages, I have "native" Floridians in my family, it has gone on for years. They (roofers) go from one community to another similar to ours (Dell Webb, etc.) until they have "hit" all the homes in the age range (usually around 17, 18 an insurance broker told me). Then they move on to the next, while ALL the people in Florida pay for the new roofs rather they took the offer or not. Seem crazy ? That's what I told the broker who is the owner of the agency, he said, "that's the way it is here, the insurance laws MUST be changed but no one (politicians) seem to have any interest in pushing that at all". His take was the insurance industry contributes so heavily to the coffers of the state politicians that they have no strong motivation to to overhaul Florida's insurance laws.... that was his take on it, that nothing will change, and that there is very little chance we could simply change to a different company. As a broker, he's looking for us, but changing my cause even more increases !