View Single Post

Old 10-06-2020, 07:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We have been wondering about this as well.

Thought of going to a zumba session this morning but have decided to wait a bit and see how everything goes

If everyone is wearing a mask and staying socially distant how risky is it really?
My mask have lousy bendable things over my nose. When I’m wearing a mask and breathe out (which I do regularly), often my glasses fog. That means I’m emitting my breath into the air. Some of the moisture is being picked up by my mask, and some of that breath is going through the mask, and I’m not shooting my breath forward, but some is going up and into the room, and some of that lingers in the air for several minutes if the particles are very fine. And then, maybe some of the air I breathe in is entering through the same gaps. (Some surgeons who wear glasses actually take their masks to their nose and cheeks with hypoallergenic paper tape, available in all operating rooms, of course.) If I am panting while exercising, I am blowing out and sucking in a MUCH greater volume. (Just as I would if I were shouting at someone during a debate.) a LOT more particles come out.

And then there are the people with ill-fitting masks or people who don’t cover their noses with their masks. Or dirty masks.

All told, you are safer socially distanced and wearing masks than if you weren’t. If you were outside, you would be much safer still.

As for me, I know rationally that my chance of catching something is low, but it still makes me very nervous. I’ll feel much more self-confident about my health after I’ve had a good vaccine. Early next year, I hope!