View Single Post

Old 10-10-2020, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I am currently insured through my husband's employer. Because it is a small company (30 - 40 employees?) my coverage is pricey. Also, like most people with private insurance, my deductible has quadrupled in the last few years. I have been reluctant to switch to Medicare but am currently investigating my options.

It looks as if I can save $200-300 per month on my premiums if I sign up for regular Medicare, a Plan G supplement, and a drug plan. In addition, if I am understanding what I read about Medi-gap plans, I will save several thousand dollars in annual out-of-pocket costs if I dump hubby's coverage.

Assuming that is correct (and please correct me if it is not!), my primary concern is: Will I have trouble finding doctors who accept my new coverage? Right now I can go to any doctor I want. If he/she is out of network I pay a larger percentage but I can still see that doctor.

I gather I will need to find another primary care dr if I make the switch because I have been seeing someone with TVHS. I have no attachment to that person, though, and have no problem with going elsewhere. BUT I'm terrified that something BAD will happen, everyone will say, "Oh, you MUST see Dr. So-and-So, he is the expert on that problem!" But Dr. So-and-So won't take Medicare patients.

Advice? Comments?

Thanks in advance.

kathy
I suspect you will have plenty of choices, but the doctor I wanted for primary care would not accept new patients on Medicare, even though I had a referral from one of his patients who is a doctor also.