View Single Post

Old 10-10-2020, 10:13 AM
Veteran member

A big thanks to all who took time to respond. I really appreciate the info.

For those who asked, I am 69. At 65 I was automatically signed up for Part A and B but declined B as I was eligible to continue on hubby's work plan. At that time my deductible was $500; it is now 4k. My monthly premium is currently ~ $800 month and will likely go up (along with the deductible) in December or January.

Because hubs is still working full-time (and then some!) I will have to pay more than the typical $144 month. (I have already looked at the chart on the Medicare site which shows the premiums based on 2018 income to determine what my monthly payment will be.) I will also have to pay a surcharge for any drug plan. Even with those extra charges, it looks like I will come out way ahead.

As I said, my concern is my ability to see the doctors of my choice. I could have chosen a less expensive plan from hub's employer but I would have had a smaller pool of doctors in the network. Didn't want that restriction. I understand that some Advantage plans cover "extras" but I don't wear glasses (had cataract surgery with multi-focal lenses implanted), I currently pay as I go for dental (and I'm fine with that), and I know myself well enough to know I would never take advantage of a health club.

Again, thanks a million for the help.

k.