View Single Post

Old 10-17-2020, 08:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile My Two Cents

After I retired from my main professional I accepted a position to manage a great golf course. In fact it was the 2nd designed course by Robert Trent Jones. I also worked in a number PGA Tournaments including the one a few years ago at Wing Foot and for years at the Buick Tourament at the Westchester Country Club. Given these I believe some major issues are (1) The equipment for both men and women's professional golf has been significantly up grades over the last few years however the Courses have not changed much so the sand traps that are 300 Yd's off the tee are, in many cases not in play as the drives are over 300 for men! In net the design of the aged courses remain the same while the equipment is becoming much better, (balls, clubs, etc). (2) The LPGA needs it's own courses and not use the course's originally designed for men. They have to adapt to tee's, traps, greens that men use and that is unfortunate I have some of the old wooden headed clubs and also the Big Bertha driver, and even the older "Heaven Wood" that was made for just a couple of years. When you compare the wooden headed clubs to the current state of the technology you get an idea as to why things are out of balance. I understand women's golf as my wife was an avid golfer and studied the game. When she passed away I founded the Women's Dutchess County Amateur, in her name as the men always had a County Amateur however the women did not. Next year it will celebrate it's 25th year and has raised thousand's for cancer research.