View Single Post

Old 10-18-2020, 07:11 AM

We are just completing a project with a new golf cart garage, a store room and an extra closet. We used a general contractor and it's a good thing we did. The pandemic greatly complicates matters with fewer people working and materials in very short supply. My contractor tells me that before the virus he would call a plumber, electrician, etc and tell them when to appear. Now they tell him because they are so backed up. AND HE HAS PRIORITY. Most all of my materials have taken longer than "normal". Window 8 weeks. A/C delayed twice at the factory. SOD? Hard to get the type I have. And on and on it goes. It depends what you are doing of course, but I had to move gas, electric, cable and sprinklers, all of which were weeks out to schedule. With all the things I had to do myself, such as a driveway extension, flooring, and other things, it would have been very difficult to try to balance subcontractors as they need to come and go often more than once. Besides, if they are behind with contractors to whom they rely on for most of their work, what priority do you think they will give you. You can always get guarantees from them, but what good is it when they say that they can't get the materials or something else and that it's not their fault. These are not normal times.