Thread: Elderly Abuse
View Single Post

Old 10-20-2020, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

End of life care is much different than active many year to go care. There is less that a doctor can do which can improve the quality of life. And the elder body does not heal quickly at all, so the motto for a good doctor is to do no harm at all. . .

I suggest reading Dr Atul Gwande's book "On Being Mortal, What matters at the end" about how near the end of your life, its not about continuing to perform surgery after surgery, but to perform what is necessary to maintain lifestyle if possible.

The author is a surgeon in boston, works as high level management, and has proven masks work in the hospital setting, his hospital, real time, this year. His book was his quest, as a doctor, tyring to figure out how to answer every patients' question at some point, "Am I going to die?" And how to answer it effectively in the best interest of the patient, and why. And its personal, with real life examples, as well as how his father died as well, who was also a surgeon in the US.

So I encourage you to read that book, as a gateway to what to expect later in life, as the question you asked seems to indicate that your expectations might need to be re-examined, and maybe, adjusted slightly. Maybe not, i don't know from the post.

sportsguy