Thread: Elderly Abuse
View Single Post

Old 10-21-2020, 05:28 AM
Default Medical overbooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
A simple question. As you have grown older have you noticed any real or subtle abuse in the medical fields in the Villages because of your age?. This would include Dentists, Doctors, etc.? If so what kind of less than good or respectable care are you talking about? I am not asking for the names of great doctors, or the great care you have been given. Rather any less than great care because you believe it was age related? Also, not asking for the Dentist, Physician.etc names, just the care you think was because of your age?
My one complaint, and this happened with two physicians' offices, was overbooking of appointments, causing excess waiting time when I arrived for an appointment. After waiting over an hour at a dermatologist's office, I rescheduled my appointment for a later date, at 7:45 am. That didn't work either -- my name wasn't called until almost 9. I never went back. I also had a series of appointments at a specialty clinic at which I was made to sit 45 minutes or so in the waiting room, then another 30 minutes in the exam room. At one, the M.D. said "Oh, it sometimes gets busy on Friday afternoons." Okay. But when I went to schedule a followup, I spotted a note pinned to the partition next to the scheduler's desk: "Please do not overbook Dr. X during the week of ___, because he is on call at the hospital then." In other words, "Go ahead and overbook all the other doctors." At the next appointment I told my doctor I would not be returning and why: "I may be retired, but my time is valuable, too,"