View Single Post

Old 10-21-2020, 07:03 AM
Veteran member

There are two other fairly permanent options for shade on a screened enclosure. Both involve a covering that attaches to the top of the birdcage, and both are hurricane rated.

One option (this is what I have), is a Sunbrella canvas covering. It's connected to a frame that is fastened to your birdcage. The resulting birdcage frame is stronger once the frame is attached. Sunshine Awnings is the only company that is authorized in The Villages. (Note that there is another company that says they have this, but when you call it's the Sunshine Awnings guy, Cody, that will come out. They use Sunshine and get a markup). I have about 1,000 sq ft of birdcage covered out of 1,350 sq ft. It provides fantastic shade and is fairly waterproof. I say fairly, because when we get torrential rain I do get several drips here and there once the canvas gets soaked.

Another option (and one that I will look at when it's time to replace) is the use of SIP (Structural Insulation Panels) that are attached to the top of the birdcage. It's slightly more expensive than the canvas, but from what I've heard it's more solid, lasts longer, and doesn't leak at all.