View Single Post

Old 10-21-2020, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Not sure how many of you remember when "3G" then 4G then 4GLTE started out. Most of the cell companies just rebranded their previous service as the "next generation" even before it was actually available. This is a very interesting article (ignore if desired the stuff about the iPhone) from INC magazine and skim down to where the different types of 5G are explained towards the end. It is doubtful you will see "true 5G" here in any of our lifetimes. I'll bet carriers will just jack up their download speeds and change the little indicator to read 5G which is exactly what happened with 3G, 4G and 4GLTE for the first couple years unless you were living in a major metro area.

The 5G iPhone Is Coming But It'''s Not What You Think | Inc.com

From the article: Low-band 5G is generally just a rebrand of some versions of the 4G LTE we've had for years. You won't notice anything different, except your phone will probably say 5G next to the signal indicator because, again, cellular companies have spent a lot of money convincing people they need 5G, so the phones better say that's what they're giving you.

That being said, I get Over 90Mbps download on cheap Total Wireless plan that costs me $55/mo for 2 lines with 30gig of data of which we barely use 10gig per month (a Verizon MVNO, like Xfinity and a few others).
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.