View Single Post

Old 10-25-2020, 09:32 AM
Default Thumb drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
In addition I suggest a thumb drive with you at all times.
Last time we moved our doctor sugested we get a thumb drive that had a medic-alert symbol on it and add it to our keys. If something happens when traveling you have all right at hand and emts look for medic alets.
We scanned in the medical files and had a file titled emergency overview at the top listing meds alergies pre existing conditions etc. When my husband had a cardiac problem the nurse took the drive plugged it into the computer and transfered the whole lot into a file with his name on it. No waiting for a link to the files from the doctor etc. Some doctors nurses will set the drive up for you for a fee. But there are two types one that is just a blank thumb with medical markings and the other has software with questions to answer included.

Just a thought
I work in Health Information (Medical Records). Thumb drives are great for getting your records on your personal PC. The problem with thumb drives is that they can spread computer viruses. A lot of facilities have security that will not allow you to use them. A bulkier solution is a CD but again not everyone has a CD drive or the correct software to use them. I am the person in my large multihospital network that downloads all of the CDs. My one suggestion is that you never ever need to request your entire medical record unless you are suing someone. Ask for an abstract or pertinent information including recent labs, radiology reports and dictation from hospitals. Add medication and allergy information from primary care. That should cover everything you need.