Thread: Masks
View Single Post

Old 10-26-2020, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,654 Times in 3,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I agree with this post 99.9%. The only part I would edit would be to change the last line to: "Just put on the damned mask." WHEN APPROPRIATE

I think this implied by most people who post "wear a mask", but I've seen plenty of examples of people wearing a mask in absurd situations.
The problem with your inclusion of "when appropriate" is that some folks prefer to be the ones deciding what constitutes "appropriate" and what doesn't.

To wit - the one who refuses to wear a mask, anywhere, any time, and has no intention of stopping his life to stay home and isolate away from other people. HE has decided what is appropriate for him, and damn anyone who might accidentally be in close proximity the one time in three months that his body decides to sneeze. Sucks to be everyone else, but this one guy is doing what he feels is appropriate to himself.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, there are still signs outside buildings urging people to wear masks. And most of them do. But many of the ones who do, wear them UNDER their noses instead of ON their noses. Because that is how they have decided mask-wearing is appropriate to them.

The word "appropriate" is subjective until you make an actual rule, and enforce it. That means mandates, which no one seems to want.