View Single Post

Old 10-28-2020, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Can you cite or post a link to that law?

I've heard people say that they never enter a round about if there is another car in it. This is basically what the gate attendant said to me and I find this idea to be totally absurd.

How far to the left is considered clear? On some round abouts you can see all the way across. If you're a six o'clock and a car enters at twelve o'clock are you supposed to wait until they have passed? As far as I'm concerned, when a car is at nine o"clock and I'm at six o'clock, the lane is clear. If we were on a straight road, I'd be able to move into that lane.
The moderator was kind enough to start this thread and supply a guide from Sumter County Board Of Commissioners.

Navigating Roundabouts
• Move up to the entrance line and wait for a gap in
traffic. DO NOT ENTER next to a vehicle in the roundabout, as that vehicle may be exiting at the next exit

It also explicitly states do not change lanes in a roundabout. Given those two statements the means the car that was in the roundabout and in the left lane has the right to make a right hand turn in front of you from the left lane since you were to yield to that person before entry and not overtake that person while the person in the left lane was to not switch out of the left lane once in the roundabout.

The misunderstanding of "you can not make a right turn from the left lane" is the number one cause of accidents in roundabouts.

Another TOTV thread starts with good intentions supported with visual aides goes astray due to posters not reading the original post. Then the old tell a secret and pass it down the line game starts and original intent gets lost.

With respect did you read the guide and are saying it is wrong ?