View Single Post

Old 11-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Got hooked on Queen’s Gambit, Netflix. Seven episodes total so you can knock it out in a couple of evenings.

It is about a brilliant young woman who is a phenomenal chess player. She learns to play when she is put in an orphanage at age 9. The story takes us through the ups and downs of her life — and many chess games.

Even though I know nothing about chess, her story grabbed my attention and held it. (When she grows up and it is the 1960s, her clothes are gorgeous — maybe not as gorgeous as Mrs. Maisel’s clothes, but gorgeous in their own right.)

I kept thinking how much a chess player would like this series. Lots and lots of moves. (I had no idea what they were talking about in the chess parts but I kept watching anyway — lots of stares and tension on the faces of opponents, also lots of dramatic music.)

I actually got a little teary-eyed at the end. Teary-eyed over a movie about chess??? (I’m not talking Terms of Endearment or Steel Magnolias teary-eyed, but, yes, a few tears — over a movie about chess???

I love movies about brilliant people. This is one of those.

Boomer