View Single Post

Old 11-21-2020, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
You always have to be aware of other cars everywhere, but especially in a round about. An accident can occur even when both drivers are obeying the rule albeit on of them is being stupid.

Let's say you are entering in the left hand lane and intending to go straight through or to the second exit depending on how you wan to look at it. As you pass the first exit, a car enters in the right hand lane and intends to go straight through or to his second exit. As you exit the round about it's possible, if the other driver is not paying attention that he can collide with the side of your car.

I have to take the third exit at a specific round about, about twice a week. It seems that there is always someone entering at my second exit in the right hand lane. I am always looking at my mirror and have my right directional on well before the exit.

Like I said, you can both be following the rules but a collision can happen if you're not paying attention.
I believe (can't find a definitive statement) that the vehicle that is entering as you pass is not entering properly. I believe vehicles entering the roundabout are supposed to yield to vehicles already in the roundabout regardless of the lane they are using. The vehicle that enters next to you did not wait for you to pass.

If the vehicle that had entered next to you had waited for you to pass then you would have had time to exit in front of him without risking him hitting you. Of course, he would have needed to be paying attention.

Also, the vehicle in the outside lane, the one that runs the risk of hitting you, is crossing a dashed line at the point you are exiting. Whenever you cross a dashed line you are responsible for ensuring it is safe to do so. But again, that would require the other driver to be paying attention.

It is probably safest to assume the other guy is going to do something wrong. As you mention, the best thing to do is to pay attention.