View Single Post

Old 11-21-2020, 11:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Lots of good replies in this thread. Incorrect information was posted regarding the protocol availability.
Quote:
After a drug is approved for use, the results and methodology of the trial are published in great detail and available for anyone to read.
The methodology, usually called a protocol, is available now. The moderna vaccine is HERE The Pfizer is HERE

When the manufacturers submit their data to the FDA for approval that is a public record.

The Mayo Clinic data of nearly 1000 cases in their employees.. per a Mayo spokesman "Our staff are being infected mostly due to community spread (93% of staff infections)" so this is not due to failure of masks nor other PPE. I do not know how they determined the source but Mayo reported this information.

Lastly, the question posed by the OP as to which vaccine to take... Very soon there will be the two mRNA vaccines but restricted use to certain occupations and high risk. Once vaccine is released to the elderly there very well may be other vaccine products also available including ones with no unusual temperature shipping and storage issues. Efficacy data will be available for all the products before or as they are approved.

One factor is that the Pfizer product has severe temperature requirements. In a study you can be sure the facilities were doing a great job of protecting the vaccine from warming. I am less convinced that community pharmacies and shippers will be able to have the same guarantee of keeping the product extremely cold. I don't see data on how much efficacy is lost if the product is not kept at the recommended temp.