Thread: Dealer Prep
View Single Post

Old 11-22-2020, 09:01 AM

I just leased a Hyundai Sonata from Hyundai of Central Florida and saved more than $1000. I had previously leased a 2018 and a 2019 from Jenkins in Ocala on very reasonable terms. (Jenkins in Leesburg wouldn’t even come close to the Jenkins of Ocala rate.). Since my 2018 lease was coming due, I returned to Jenkins in Ocala expecting to get the same good rate I had gotten twice before. Boy did I get a surprise. They gave me a quote that was almost $4000 above the Hyundai of Central Florida rate. I left the dealership and as soon as I arrived home, I received an email telling me I could have the vehicle at $3000 less than the original quote. That would have still been $1000 more than the same vehicle that I leased in Clermont.

Hyundai of Central Florida does not charge a dealers fee. Almost every other Florida dealership charges a dealers fee of anywhere from $499 to $1099. This fee is pure profit for the dealership. When I moved to Florida from New Jersey seven years ago and looked into these dealer fees, I asked why they charge this extra fee. The answer seemed to be, “because they can.” When I leased the 2018 Sonata from Jenkins in Ocala, I asked why the Ocala dealership can give me a better price than the Leesburg dealership. I was told that since many of the customers in Leesburg are Villagers and elderly, they don’t shop around.