View Single Post

Old 11-22-2020, 10:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We don't have a smoker.

I love tender chuck roast and usually buy one large enough for two meals. One for fall apart tender roast beef and gravy with mashed potatoes and the leftover part for homemade barbecue by simply adding brown sugar, catsup, Worcestershire sauce, a bit of vinegar and yellow mustard.

I brown the beef on both sides and put it in my pan with a tight lid called a Dutch oven and put one package of Lipton Onion Soup mix on the top, add about a half cup of water and put it in my regular oven at 275 for about five or six hours.

It is very, very fall apart tender, dark and succulent and smells so yummy as it's cooking. We had it last week.

I know. You were talking about a smoker.

Good morning.
My mom used to make a bunch of these 45+ years ago pretty much the same way although I don't think she used the onion soup thing. I was never much of a fan since it was at least once a week and leftovers went to school with me for lunch.

I've come to appreciate brisket and chuck roasts now. One of my main goals in life at this point is to live in the moment and appreciate what I have. I get joy in "solving" the puzzle of making a tough hunk of beef flesh into a tender, juicy special meal.

I try to smoke something every weekend, even if it's a hunk of cheese, which I recommend everyone try. You don't need a "smoker" to do it, any ole grill or smoke chamber will do as long as you can keep your smoke tube a decent distance from the cheese and it's reasonably cool outside. July in FL might require a 3am smoke . I did a video on that one too. How to Smoke Cheese on your grill - YouTube