View Single Post

Old 11-24-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbang View Post
Thanks guys.. I will have some rental incomes even after so it won't be final when I file non-resident tax return also with NY property taxes. And with electronic filing, I do not know I can write FINAL electronically. Anyway, I got the gist of it. Thanks.

BTW, did anyone ever had to go thru with NYS audit? Did you need lawyer/CPA if you did?
I am just preparing for the worst possible situation..
Friends of mine who live outside Boca Raton went thru a NYS audit a few years ago. (He's a retired doc- very well off). They did alone but it was a paperwork hassle. They kept meticulous records of every day they spent outside NY because they knew NYS is strict on this. I can remember my friend saying No we cannot all get together on a certain date in NY because they would exceed their max number of days in NY.

Their biggest gripe was NYS would ask for certain documents, my friends would provide, then 2 months later, different docs were requested. This went on for months. Multiple requests for documents. Death by a thousand cuts. Eventually they were cleared and owed nothing (no doubt beacuse of their good record-keeping!)