View Single Post

Old 12-05-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
But it does indicate where you came from
Actually, NO. Anyone can get a phone number with Google Voice (or other service) in any area code whatsoever.

I run a 2nd business where I wanted a "vanity" number like 1-800-mattress. The number I wanted was not available in my local area code so I just shopped Google Voice and found it in area code 720. I don't even know where that is. Never the less, I now have:

720-cat-luvr (example only)

and that has no bearing on where I'm from.

For anyone who wants to keep their old landline / home phone when moving, you have some choices these days:

1) transfer it to a cell phone. This works but is expensive especially if you already have a cell phone
2) use a VOIP service (I use callcentric.com) and transfer your number to them.

On callcentric, I have a couple of options. I can connect an internet phone adapter to my internet service and re-establish my old phone number in the Villages or anywhere with internet service. Using this option, I took my home number with me on a vacation to Costa Rica. Was able to make and receive calls on my number while away just like being at home. T-Mobile wanted $2.00/minute to make calls from Costa Rica

If you don't need dial-tone services (no need to make a call) for your old home number but don't want to miss calls to that number, just leave it on callcentric and have the number forwarded to your cell phone. It's only $1.99/month to have my old home number on callcentric.

Final note: worried about spam calls to your old home number. Callcentric provides a fantastic spam blocking feature. You can enable a feature whereby all callers have to press a number ("press 7 to be connected") in order for the call to complete. The number-to-press changes with each call. Never the less, as you can see, robot calls can't complete this task and you get absolutely zero robocalls.

Good luck