View Single Post

Old 12-05-2020, 11:49 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,774 Times in 764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Did anyone else grow up eating the German Anise Christmas Cookie called Springerle? Our German grandmother made them every year and they were as hard as rocks on purpose and they were imprinted with a rolling pin with designs. I am told that they are Austrian and Bavarian in origin and their name comes from knights springing from their horses.

http://www.mybestgermanrecipes.com/w...springerle.jpg
Oh did we ever ! It was a BIG deal in our house, of all the cookies, the Springerle were the queens. No anise flavoring from stores, went to our compounding independent pharmacist (before Walgreen on every corner obviously) for only pure oil. The eggs had to come from nearby farm, no store eggs... as I said, it was a BIG DEAL. They were stored then in huge crocks on the "summer porch" and brought out for Christmas. I am fortunate enough to have three of the original molds my great grandmother brought with her from Germany when they immigrated. I have original recipe....mine have NEVER been as good, but I have been able to get the "high puff", not the flat ones you get even at "German" bakeries ! And oh, the STOLEN, WOW, ours were ALWAYS made with an entire roll of almond paste and as kids we got a slice and went right for the "almond paste hole" in the slice.....