Thread: De La Vista
View Single Post

Old 01-03-2021, 01:49 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

LOL.... thanks but sure have not seen any progress in that direction in the last 15 or so years..... people are people and change is not common. To that point, in this time of virus, many comments on here about encroachments on someone's personal space, at the grocery, the squares, etc. Like the lack of personal responsibility concerning care of the golf courses, to me it is all a basic link, fact. For example, way before the pandemic, when anyone steps outside their front door, they are going into a risky, unknown world they CAN NOT control. When I sst down at any counter in a diner, there was always the chance that someone with a cold, or with a VERY serious condition, might sit down at the next seat. I can't control that any more than I can control how far from ME the person in the line for a Disney ride moves (rather it states 6" minimum or not). No matter how angry people get, or how they "feel" things should be, a certain number of people have a mind set they simply can not break. They will not fix ball marks, enter and leave traps at the lowest point, and there will always be those who move up as close to others as possible in a line, or step in front of them and block their view of a parade or other event. There are always going to be people who will walk pets for blocks in order to avoid messes in their own lawns, and there are always going to be people who think speed signs apply only to "others". In the minds of others, this is simply "not right", and they are correct, but when you make a decision to venture into public, on a golf course or in a restaurant, or even on The Villages town squares, you will encounter these people and much could be learned from making a plan on how you personally will deal with this. You can live your life in frustration and disappointment, and even stress, or you can learn to live with it as the old saying goes. Some believe this is the same as accepting less than respectful behavior, and that may be true, but it is a fact of life in most societies. Remember what Orwell said in Animal Farm, "we are ALL equal here, it's just that some of us are more equal than others".... like ALL places, The V's have some who actually are "more equal than others", on the golf courses and on the paths and squares, but at least we have a choice in how much we are going to allow those folks to affect us ! Say, that might make a good New Year's resolution.... as you wait to make your putt, fix a couple ball marks even though YOU didn't make one this hole ? If someone walks right up to you in the grocery without a mask, walk away, make 2021 a much better year !