View Single Post

Old 01-23-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Off campus is not always what it is built up to be. My wife and I decided to try the highly recommended Baseline golf course today. I called to make a t time and was informed the don’t take any, just show up. I told them I was uncomfortable with that as we didn’t want to show up and have a long wait. They assured me the wait is very short, 20 minutes maximum, so we took the risk and drove there. Upon arrival it didn’t look busy so we went into the pro shop and paid, after again asking if there would be a long wait, and were told just pull up to the starter on the first hole and he will get you right out. We paid, loaded up the cart (we hate not using our own cart) and went down the path to the first hole. Around the corner we went to see about 30 carts in line waiting to t off. I walked to the front to find the starter and asked approximately how long our wait would be. He very rudely said, don’t ask me I just work here, you will be able to tee off when your cart gets to the front of the line. Back to the cart I went, and we waited. After a few minutes we asked the group in front of us if they played here often and about how long they expected to wait. They said it was their first time at Baseline and they have been there fore 25 minutes and have not yet moved. I went to the pro shop and asked for a refund, which they reluctantly agreed to and we were out of there, having our days plans wasted. Lesson learned, never go anyplace off campus that does not take t times. We will never go back to that place, and wouldn’t even recommend it to our enemies.

Golfing in the bubble during high season is $$$$$, but we have never had a bad experience in the Villages like we had today at Baseline. Next time we will not worry about saving $50, and wind up wasting the better part of our day.
Baseline is far from reflective or typical of courses outside of TV. Recommend Eagle Ridge (36 holes); very competitive rates with carts. Baseline is the only course I now of that operates on a first come first serve basis. Nice executive course but it can be slow. I generally don't play it in high season.