View Single Post

Old 01-25-2021, 08:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
So here I am with a car that supposedly I own, but no proof of ownership. Dealer says, "Oh in another 3-4 weeks you'll have the title. We use a 3rd party to do our paperwork.......... Really!!!!!
Need ideas of how to handle this.
Not to pile on here, but there's a saying that is appropriate here: If you can't stand on top of something and defend it with a rifle, you don't own it.

Never, ever give the money until the title is in your possession. If they didn't have your money, you'd be amazed at the effort they will go through to get the title into your hands. Now that they have the money, meh. "We will get to it when we get to it.".

I guess it depends on how much money we're talking about here. I would probably arrange to meet with a local LEO at the stealership. When you walk in with a uniformed officer, it tends to get people's attention. Even if the cop never says a word. "He's my witness that you're not providing me title to my property, we're heading back to the station to file the report as soon as we're done here. How do you spell your last name?"