View Single Post

Old 01-31-2021, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadad View Post
Need a new all in one printer for PC. $100-200 range. Any recommendations? Thanks
You are not providing much information. There are two systems ink jet or lazer. First question do you need, want color? Next question how much will you use it and how often
will you use it. If, you must have color, at the price you are looking for you will likely only find ink jet. The cost per print on ink jet is higher than lazer and the print speed is slower.
Also since the inks are water soluble, any water will ruin your print. Another major problem with ink jet is that left unused the ink dries up in the spray head. As happened with mine and for many people I know once the ink dries on the head the solution is to toss the printer. They claim you can try to clean the head. I tried-it didn't work. Aside,
the printer I had took 5 ink cartridges and they cost $30 each. Over it's life I changed the cartridges as I used to use it far more than when I retired, like 4-5 times. So in a printer that I bought for $100 I spent many times that on the ink.

The same is true for the lazer printers. The device is likely a loss leader for the companies. They make money on the ink and or lazer cartridge.

I currently have a Samsung B&W only lazer. I expect it is discontinued as I bought it 3-4 years ago. It has been fine. Does scans, faxes, prints and connects to your cell phone.
I paid $100 for it. They give you enough ink for about 500 copies. If, I recall that is more than they gave me with my former color ink jet. Ink, you replace the entire section so you get a new head etc. If I recall the assembly is like $90 new. People do sell refilled ones as they do with ink jets. I never used or bought the refilled ones. You do save a little. Is it worth the trouble, questionable loss of quality, do you really get the claimed number of prints? Not to me.

Value? Imagine trying to make that thing, pack it in a 4 color designed to ship box and selling it for $100-200. Amazing value.

Cost per print ink jet, not counting machine cost or life is about 15 cents a page in B&W color like 20 plus. Lazer is like 5 cents.