View Single Post

Old 02-03-2021, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
To all the people who say a "normal" household would not need those higher speeds, have you ever heard of streaming movies and videos in high def? And having 2 TVs streaming at the same time? I guess I am abnormal.

Xfinity speed is all over the place. I usually have to disconnect and reconnect twice per day to prevent buffering and that is on the 5G WiFi network. I wanted Century Link fiber optic but they told me they don't offer it yet at my new build in Bradford.
High definition streaming maxes out around 8mbits and most run 4-6mbits. A 25mbit connection can handle 3+ of these simultaneously. 4k streaming requires around 23mbits.

A gigabit connection can support 80+ high def streams, and dozens of browsers all at the same time. I.e your entire neighborhood.

If you need to reset or restart your equipment, get better equipment. My routers are on battery backups and typically only get rebooted for firmware updates. I.e annually at best.

If you are using equipment provided by xfinity/Comcast or any cable provider, understand it's the cheapest garbage they can rent to you and still provide a minimum QOS.