Forums

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
View Single Post

Old 02-16-2021, 11:52 AM
Gold member

My 2 cents. This is not a reverse mortgage problem. It is a "who is going to take care of things when I die" problem. This person could have a million dollars in the bank and if nothing is in place to take care of the property nothing will be done.
I was a licensed real estate agent and witnessed properties in disrepair after the owner died. Even getting a bank to take care of basic maintenance was often a hassle. When the real estate market took a dive things were worse.
And - unless I am misinformed - people who have reverse mortgages are required to have insurance on those loans. I think the cost of the insurance is less than the government has to pay out and there are proposals to correct this. (Similar to any insurance, your premium goes up if the insurance company pays a lot of claims.). Of course, who knows when it will be corrected.
Again, putting reverse mortgages aside, anyone's property can fall into disrepair when they die. I think this problem is compounded by (in most cases) living away from family.

Last edited by BogeyBoy; 02-16-2021 at 01:25 PM.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.