View Single Post

Old 02-19-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
For the past several days, I have watched TOTV descend into a maelstrom, and I am starting to have no hope for the forum that has been a part of many of my mornings since 2007. I am in the habit of giving the opening page a scroll and posting, if finding a topic I want to be a part of.

I am not big..........
Boomer,
Thanks for helping me reflect on how I spend the valuable time I have left on this beautiful planet!

You are quite critical of TOTV. Interesting perspective. Being a relative newbie, mine is the opposite. I think people in general are kind, creative and thoughtful. It made me think of developing criteria for the few platforms I use: FB, TOTV, Quora, Nextdoor and a couple of medical sites (esp Prevmed), and a few financial forums (esp Bogleheads) .

Some of the criteria might include:
- Strong political venting (vs politically restrained)
- Poster's who need to be heard, regardless of content quality (vs posters who think about relevance to those using the forum and make well thought out comments or initiate interesting topics)
- Trollers looking for trouble (vs neutral posters & peacemakers)
- Rudeness (vs politeness)
- Contributors (vs takers)

In balance, I believe TOTV continues to rank well. It's all about your reference point I guess.

Some personal controversial views just to spice things up:

FB - scary to see this has evolved into an extension of people's lives. 4 billion members being monitored and biased by a liberal, snot nosed kid (Zuckerberg) without regulations. Many of those people should really be creating their own window to the world!

Nextdoor - Interesting, but loose monitoring allows political tirades, moronic posts, and troublemakers.

Quora and medical forums - Great forum for geeks. No traction for inane posts or fight mongers.

Financial forums - Many are useful, but often "penetrated" by brokers and "financial advisors."

TOTV - Entertaining and often great topics. Educated and reasoned commentary. Some very helpful individuals. I try not to "take more than I give." I am interested in maybe 20% of the new topics and ignore the rest. The chosen topics are usually helpful and sometimes expand horizons.

Boomer, again, thanks for posting and triggering some reflections of my own. I hope you remain engaged. You're a good writer!!