Thread: Heat Pumps
View Single Post

Old 02-20-2021, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amexsbow View Post
As I have lived in the South since 1946, I have seen a lot of extremes in the weather. The one thing it has taught me is NEVER OWN A HOME WITH A HEAT PUMP.
The recent debacle in TEXAS should make everyone sit up and take notice.
The heat pump is not efficient below 40 degrees.
During extreme cold, below 25 degrees an electric heat strip takes over to provide heat.

A home with natural gas will have hot water, a stove that works, a gas fireplace that works and the ability to have an emergency generator to provide electricity during extreme cold or during electrical outages.
Like anything nothing is perfect or ever will be. As far as overlapping systems. It is a matter of cost to buy, space for it, maintenance, etc etc etc etc. In terms of being in the south since 1946. I admit, I was not even born then but a lot has changed. There is a good chance you did not even have central air conditioning. I'm not sure they even had heat pumps then. Air conditioning. If, you had it was far less efficient.

Emergency generator running on natural gas that would carry your entire home would be a serious expense. Maintenance, space, etc.

Air conditioning, or heat pump? We can choose to get two. One in case the other one fails. Same is true of a generator.

Choice, there is shortage of choices