View Single Post

Old 02-21-2021, 06:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedivergirl View Post
Mine was doing the same thing ~ I could hear the water trickling through. DH did take it apart and found a plug of eggshells, onion skins and peels. Now those items go in the trash, and it hasn't acted up since. Firm items seem to be fine, but flimsy trimmings cause problems.
For a couple years when I was in grad school I managed an apartment complex and had to repair dozens of garbage disposals. I actually kept a 2’ long sawn off broomstick beside the front door for turning disposals from the inside. (That can be easier than using a hex key from below.)

You are absolutely right about onion skins—the dry, papery stuff on the outside of onions that gave its name to the thin onion skin paper that used to be used for making carbon copies with carbon paper and manual typewriters. (Remember those?) They don’t easily soak up water, and they aren’t easily cut up by the blades, but the blades will force them down the pipe uncut, where they easily jam pipes. A few seconds of paying attention and putting the skins in the garbage can prevent an expensive call from a plumber.