View Single Post

Old 02-21-2021, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,508 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
If you want just say oldie, it would of been an old in '72 since it was released in '71 on LZ 4. However, the radio stations I was listening to in 1985 were still labeled rock radio, not classic rock. That wasn't a real station format yet, because rock was still being made, played and listened to. I remember hearing bands on rock stations like INXS, Motley Crue, REM Guns & Roses and AC/DC was still turning out hits. In the 80s I owned and operated a record store near Savannah Georgia.

It wasn't until the 90s and grunge replaced the hair bands of the 80s you would start seeing Classic Rock Radio stations.

In the 80s, 1985 for example, a rock station would sprinkle in late 60s and 70s songs into their regular airplay. The biggest flashback segment was usually at noon, most would give it a name like "Liquid Lunch" and we would of heard Zeppelin, Floyd and the like for a solid hour. That you can call say was an 'oldie' segment, but Stairway to Heaven was only 14 years old in '85.

That's me behind the counter of my store in 1985, it was a rock shop. We stocked and sold 90% of our inventory was rock music.

The Villages Florida

You could tell it was Georgia, I was between the Piggly Wiggly and K-Mart.

The Villages Florida
Hah! I have memories of a placed called Cutler's Records in New Haven, and the Music Box in the Hamden's "Magic Mile" commercial area. Got all my guitar strings and picks there, and most of our 45s and LPs. I remember an extra credit question on our Shakespeare II class in High school (which was at the end of that Magic Mile, which was exactly one mile long and consisted of 3 strip-malls: The Plaza, the Mart, and Caldor's plaza): name every store, in order, from the school to the other end of the mile. It was a 5-point extra credit so if you were at a C- grade, it could be enough to get you off academic probation that year.

Every stoner and jock in the class (which was most of us, fitting either one or both categories) could name every store, in order. There were over 40 stores total. The dweebs who never left school during open study or lunch all got them wrong. We were a fit bunch, us stoners and/or jocks, walking to school, walking 2 miles round-trip during study-hall/lunch, and then walking home from school every day.

Yes, I'm derailing this thread. In the spirit of returning civil "conversation" to the forum.

Anyway - By "Oldie" I mean the actual category of music, not specific longevity of a popular tune. Oldie with a capital O. As in "Golden Oldies" but in the case of Led Zep it'd be "Classic Rock" - which is one of several Oldies sub-categories. It didn't become "classic" until the 1980's when it ceased to be "new" or "top 50" and found solid footing in "Oldies" territory (which would be top 100 Classic Rock or Top 100 all-time).