View Single Post

Old 02-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Hah! I have memories of a placed called Cutler's Records in New Haven, and the Music Box in the Hamden's "Magic Mile" commercial area. Got all my guitar strings and picks there, and most of our 45s and LPs. I remember an extra credit question on our Shakespeare II class in High school (which was at the end of that Magic Mile, which was exactly one mile long and consisted of 3 strip-malls: The Plaza, the Mart, and Caldor's plaza): name every store, in order, from the school to the other end of the mile.
I use to hang out at record shops, mostly they had them in department stores back then. I went to school in the 60s, so stoner was really a word yet, maybe beatnik was popular, like Maynard G Krebs.

Our biggest event was weekend nights going to the Steak 'n Shake Drive-in on 34th Street in St. Petersburg. They had 3 renta-cops just to direct all the traffic, usually about 200 cars trying to cruise the lot, most never pulled in or ordered food. The girls were on roller skates and they brought you your food. Collecting S & S glasses was my biggest hobby, their glasses were heavy glass with their logo, very neat. I just realized that photo of me at work was 35 years ago when I was 35 years old.

This was our hangout, the S & S Drive-in in St. Petersburg, it opened in '65. It's no longer there, not even as regular Steak 'n Shake.

The Villages Florida