View Single Post

Old 02-22-2021, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,993 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
I don't think that many residents are begrudging the Developer's becoming a billionaire by building and selling houses, and this is not "liberal class warfare" as you allege. (Full disclosure: I am a lifelong Republican.) In fact, over all, I admire the great job that the Developer has done in planning and building a retirement community and think that he deserves to have become rich doing so.

Our complaint here is:
We do begrudge the Developer's using his former control of the County Commission to further enrich himself at the expense of the residents of Sumter County. We, the residents, should not be subsidizing the Developer. We are now doing that via the combination of his sweetheart impact fee and our 25% tax hike to pay for his county infrastructure.

That combination exists only because the Developer, after he pushed through One Sumter, was able to put into office puppet Commissioners who would do his bidding. We tossed out 3 of the Developer's 5 puppet Commissioners in the last election and voted in the EMS team. We will toss out the remaining two (Gilpin and Breeden) next year.
Again, and for the 10,000th time----Whether county infrastructure costs are financed through the property tax or an impact fee makes NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER to the developer. Any additional cost will simply be passed on to the new home buyer.

PS: If this issue finally gets resolved, what will you have to post about?