View Single Post

Old 02-22-2021, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
First, your statement that paying for his own infrastructure through a reasonable impact fee would make “NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER to the developer” is absurd. Why do you think he and his suppliers spent almost a quarter of a million dollars last year in a failed attempt to keep his puppets in office and he has launched a propaganda and lobbying campaign to stall and block an end to his sweetheart impact-fee deal?

Second, think about it: If, as you seem to indicate, the Developer could simply increase his prices in the amount of the proposed impact fees without negatively impacting his sales and profits, he should fire his CFO for not already having increased prices, thereby leaving money on the table. If businesses could simply pass on higher costs without reducing sales, no business would ever go bankrupt.

Third, from a policy standpoint, if the Developer passes some (or even all) of higher impact fees to the buyers of new homes, fine. The costs of the new infrastructure will then be borne by the people benefiting from it, not by the current residents, most of whom are only getting negative effects from the massive growth.

In summary, the Developer is lining his pocket at the expense of current residents via a combination of a sweetheart impact fee for himself and higher property taxes. As to your question about what I will post about if this situation gets corrected, I don't know, but I would be happy to see the present abuse of current residents ended. I try to limit my posts to subjects that I know something about and care about.
In summary, you're wrong.

If TV was a development struggling to sell homes you would be right. Just look at the home sales around Juliette Falls. However, here they are selling as quickly as they can build them, so yes, the developer would have no problem passing on higher impact fees to the new homebuyer

And if you don't think residents of Sumter County get a huge benefit from TV, you're blind.
30 years ago Sumter County was the poorest county in Florida, now it ranks 10th or 11th. Better infrastructure, better retail, better employment---the list goes on

It is clear you care about this subject---but KNOW about if? That remains questionable.