View Single Post

Old 02-22-2021, 10:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I thought the producer did a really good job tonight. I'm sure the guy on the right is kicking himself for betting $10,000 on the daily double and missing it, which gave the champion a runaway. Had he only bet $8,000, which is still a lot, he would at least stayed within range, and on Final Jeopardy he could of won the game. He knew the answer and the champion didn't.

I don't think it's sad, it's not a dying wish, he only suggested these names. After he's gone, he's not the one responsible for show continuing it's high ratings. I had no idea who those two names were, so I did a search. Laura Coates is an analyst for CNN and does an Urban View show on XM Radio. Of course I'm sure she would be reminded to keep politics out of it, but that resume doesn't sound like one that would resonate with the audience that Jeopardy draws.

Alex Trebek being Canadian, was also a big hockey fan as I am myself, and Alex Faust is the play-by-play man for the LA Kings. That's a sport that requires quick thinking, spontaneous announcers with shots sometimes coming rapid fire. I'm sure he has the raw talent to handle the job, perhaps they don't think he's a big enough name outside of LA, or as already mentioned, they have turned it down if they were asked.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
To your point about the late double Jeopardy wager of $10,000... I don't think players should bid so much so late in the game. There is too much to lose and not enough time to make up for it. I also don't understand why some players don't bet it all in the bonus round if they could possibly win otherwise. What if they top player gets the answer wrong. It's not like you get to take everything you've earned home. I would go for broke if I were not the top player.

I agree with your assessments of Alex's picks. Obviously the powers that be will want the show to keep its top ranking. But I hope they won't turn it into a celebrity fest. Somebody heretofore relatively unknown or otherwise connected with the show might be the answer. I liked this guy tonight. Especially at the final answer when the one contestant said "I don't have a clue," and the host said, "That's not surprising." Or something like that. My husband and I both thought he has obviously been in front of an audience before.