View Single Post

Old 02-26-2021, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpd3062 View Post
I did see the movie. I enjoyed the acting of Frances Mcdormand. I most enjoyed the characters. I assume most of them were actual Nomads they discovered on the road. It was almost like a documentary. It was somewhat sad that some of them had to make by in what they had. However like Fern many had other options but for whatever reason chose to stay on the road. I got the feeling Fern felt guilty if she settled down with the male friend (who offered her a place to live) because her husband had died. It was like she felt she wasn’t supposed to be happy. Pretty sad.
I agree. Also, I felt that she couldn't bring herself to commit again.

I had a friend whose mother deserted the family and took off in a small camper van. She would come back very occasionally to visit her adult daughters, but could not bring herself to stay. It was very sad. She came to our house with her daughter for Thanksgiving dinner one year, having taken on a pseudonym, and talked about how good it was to be able to get away from the world around her by just crawling into her van. I couldn't decide whether to believe her or think she was talking to herself. She had no health insurance and eventually the authorities found her van at a Walmart with her inside, having died from cancer. The daughters had to go clean out the van and dispose of it.

I guess that's why I found the movie so depressing. No friends to rely on, and in Francis Gormand's case, no family at all. I'm left wondering... did she care about that? What was going on that she couldn't accept the friendships that were offered to her for more than a little while at a time.

The movie left me very sad.