View Single Post

Old 02-27-2021, 07:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston-Sean View Post
Funny you should mention .2 Bitcoin.

That's how much I had as "walking around" Bitcoin in a BRD wallet on my iphone. At the time I think it was worth about $400.

Then I think it got as low as $100 but I'd have to check. In any event I just forgot about it. 3 iphones later .2 BTC is worth some money so I try to bring up the wallet on my new Iphone. I had to re-install the wallet and restore it from the 12 word key.

As soon as the restore was over my BTC balance showed Zero BTC. Which really sucked. I checked the BRD support forum on Reddit and there was a BRD support person responding to people who posted issues. I figured I was SOL but I emailed the person anyway. To my surprise they got back to me within 24 hours, on a Sunday. They had me change a configuration setting on the wallet software and like magic my BTC appeared. (Yes, I know. It was always on the blockchain but I tried restoring into another wallet and had no luck so I don't know what was going on.)

The next time I upgrade my iphone I'll probably transfer whatever I have in that wallet to my hardware wallet.

I was able to use some of that BTC to buy a gun. I knew it was bad from a financial standpoint. Assuming BTC continues to go up. But I wanted to feel like an anarchist so we did the deal with BTC. We waited about 5 minutes for the first confirmation to come through and then we were done.

Yes, we did all the paperwork so it was legal.
I know someone who's Ex dunked his phone and he didn't have the backup of his 3btc. Don't feel sorry for him though, he's a media personality (Anthony Cumia) with enough money that 3 btc at today's prices won't even move the needle.

I wish I had more perseverance. I was folding proteins back in the early 2000s with about 200 machines. I could have easily moved those over to bitcoin when that started to be a thing around 2010/11 but I couldn't make it work behind the company firewall. Again, so I gave up. Right now that amount of CPU is probably not worth one GPU much less 1 millionth of an Asic miner, but back then, I bet I would have mined at least a handful of BTC.

As to guns, FL has no paperwork person to person. You just can't sell to someone you know to be a prohibited person. I'm originally from Ohio, again, no paperwork then in NJ for 26 years and you need permissions slips for everything. It'll be nice to be in FL once we're there full time in a few months. I've had my FL CCW since 2009, something that is impossible in NJ.

I would love to buy some hardware with BTC, if I needed any.