View Single Post

Old 03-15-2021, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Obviously, none of this really matters since Thomas won the tournament. But, he did outplay Westwood by 4 strokes in the final round. And, Westwood shot a 72, which was his worst round of the tournament. So, I think the pressure affected his game. Players who win the most tournaments are the ones who can maintain their game under pressure.
That's another good point. Westwood shot 69-66-68-72. If he had even matched his worst round of the previous 3 he would have won. The average score of the top twelve finishers was 69.2 so a mediocre 69 or 70 by Westwood wins the tournament.

The fact that JT missed a lot putts on the front that Westwood made a boatload of 8-10 footers is completely irrelevant.

While it's true that Thomas beat Westwood by four strokes on Sunday, the fact that Westwood had his worst round of the tournament and was three shots worse than the average of the top twelve finishers is, to me, a collapse by Westwood more than come from behind victory by Thomas. If all of the leaders shot 80 and Thomas shot 72 no one would be talking about how he beat all the leaders by eight shots.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.