View Single Post

Old 03-20-2021, 04:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
There's a place up in Summerfield that I keep meaning to try, but I haven't yet.

Florida Fresh Meat click here

By the way, your previous video on cold-smoking cheese prompted me to try it. Thanks. Now I have my brother doing it.
I'll add that one to the list as well.

Awesome on the cheese! We keep a block of cheddar in constant rotation. I tried smoking some Mozzarella a month or so ago. I had picked up part skim by accident but went with it anyway. What I can tell you is that the smoke flavor is very strong and both my wife and I hated it but there's a twist.

That one was in the sealed bag for 3 weeks. We took it out, tried it(she gave it to the dog) and then I took it to work 2 days later. I had a few guys try it, they all agreed the flavor was strong, but liked it. I was perplexed, so took another bite. It was much milder.

In a do-over, I'm going to give it 90 minutes on heavy smoke, 2 weeks sealed then leave it somewhere it can breathe taking pains to make sure it doesn't melt or dry. I think the smoke cannot penetrate as well, so the surface was covered in bitter smoke particles and those need to come off before it gets to the milder smoke flavor. It may also just need a month in the bag and some breathing time after.