Thread: Atomic car
View Single Post

Old 03-25-2021, 11:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
You're missing the scale of it.

Nissan built and sold 1.5 million cars in 2017 and 2018. The industry as a whole is somewhere north of 18 million in the US alone and 100million globally.

All manufacturers of all carts sold were under 100,000 units in 2017. Club car has a sales of $105,000,000. Sounds like a lot until you realize the average new cart is around $18,000-20000, putting the total sales at under 6000 units. You don't get the same discount on parts for 6000 pieces as you do for 1.5 million + 20% for repairs.

While I don't doubt they make profit, it's probably not Simon Bar Sinister level of profits.
of course... the volume/cost re individual "parts" are certainly not comparable.

BUT There is NO WAY that the individual (in my example) Nissan Versa CAR engine and transmission has the same material and labor cost VERSUS the little engine and 'belt transmission' in a Yamaha or such GOLF CART.

I could provide many more examples - assembly by assembly - CAR vs CART that blows away the 'unit volume' argument. Please - 'sinister'?