View Single Post

Old 04-05-2021, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Why do you have such a hard time giving credit where it is due?
Sheesh.
He won the tournament. I give him credit for that. He's been in the hunt for the past several weeks and obviously have been making a comeback. But he hasn't been able to seal the deal until this week.

And to put things into perspective, this was a very weak field. Only two of the top 25 played in OWGR were there. Most of the best players took a week off between the WGC Championship and The Masters.

I never said that he couldn't hit woods are irons. Everyone on the PGA tour is a great ball striker relative to the rest of the world. But compared to other PGA tour players his ball striking is not all that great and he relies a lot more on his short game and putting.

He is 151 in strokes gain off the tee. He's 17th on strokes gained around the green. Compared to other PGA Tour players, he's not a great driver of the ball but he's excellent at getting it up and down.

He's currently 44th in putting but when he was winning, he was number one in strokes gained putting. When those 30 footers stopped going in, he stopped winning.

When player that relies that much on making long putts, eventually it will catch up to him.

I give him a lot of credit for working hard to improve his ball striking. His iron game is much better than it was when he was winning everything.

But I do agree somewhat with Mike234. He does seem to be a bit self centered and whiney on the course. But in interviews, he always credits his team which I admire. The media obviously loves him because he's always honest with them and gives great interviews.

I'm glad that he won again but I'm not ready to jump on the "Speith is back" bandwagon. Let's see how he does in the future.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.