View Single Post

Old 04-11-2021, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkpup View Post
We have fully landscaped our house in Marsh Bend but now we’re thinking about growing herbs and vegetables but have very little experience growing veggies in Florida.

I have some questions and concerns.

1. Since Sprinkler water is Non-Potable/Recycled water is it safe for vegetables & herbs?
2. If Sprinkler water is harmful, what alternatives do we have?
3. How can I find out what grows in Central Florida and when it should be planted?

This is a landscaping question.
1. My Palm trees are looking wimpy and yellow. What should I be feeding them?

Thanx,
punkpup
Vegetables that will grow here that is easy, all you need do is look it up on the internet complete with planting time. An important thing to do is to have a soil test done. Most of the Villages is sandy, clay with a ph of 7-8. First thing you need do is improve the soil.
Translates to adding organic matter. It takes far more organic matter than many people think to make a proper soil. Three to six inches stirred in is about right.

Wildlife? You may not see rabbits now. Not to worry they will find your garden as soon as you put it in.

I am growing blueberries in large pots. They need acidic soil ph 4.5-5. So you need pots and big ones. I regularly get a huge crop. I've used nets, a pain in the neck to set up and take down. I wouldn't mind cutting the birds in for say 10%. Last year they allowed me to eat like ten berries. They are not yet ripe. This year if they stop at you home tell em I don't live here.