View Single Post

Old 04-11-2021, 03:50 PM
Default Need Help from Snowbirds on Indoor Cooling and Humidity

This is my first summer away from our new home in The Villages. Two weeks ago I received an alert from my Ecobee thermostat advising me of high indoor humidity. I remember the guy from Munn’s setting the “high humidity” alert level at 70% and advising me to set heat at 60F and cool at 80F while I’m away. After receiving the high humidity alert I phoned Munn’s to see if 70% indoor humidity was an issue. The person I spoke to said that indoor humidity above 60% may lead to mold / mildew problems. She suggested that I turned the AC on to help reduce the humidity. I incrementally reduced the thermostat setting down from 80F to 68F and monitored the humidity level. After about 24 hours the humidity was below 60% so I raised the thermostat setting back to 80F. Since then the indoor humidity has mainly been in the high 50’s to low 60’s. I’m a bit concerned because this alert happened in the springtime which is nowhere near the hottest and most humid part of the year. I’m hoping I’m not going to have to cool my house to the low 70’s all summer to control the humidity. I’d appreciate anyone sharing their experiences with me on this subject. Thanks!