View Single Post

Old 03-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

The new Business Week arrived in the mail yesterday, and of course, this issue is on this very topic. When will the market recover? There are babies on the cover. That picture of those babies made me think about how it might be a good idea to start giving a few shares of stock as baby gifts.

Stock can make a great gift. I gave Mr. Boomer 50 shares of Harley for his 50th birthday. It was a while ago when the symbol was HDI. It has since changed to HOG. Along with the shares, I wrote a silly little poem about how when the stock went high enough maybe it could pay for a Harley.

Well, the stock jumped, split, went up more. And what happened was that even though just a hundred shares would never reach the price of a Harley, those shares did get sold in 2006 to cover the cost of adding an instrument rating to his private pilot's license. (Like I have said before, I keep trying to interest Mr. Boomer in cheaper hobbies, like carving polar bears out of soap. Oh well.)

Enough stories from me for today. But stock can make a good gift. Maybe they should add stock to the gift registry at Babies R Us.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 03-10-2009 at 06:58 AM.