View Single Post

Old 04-19-2021, 04:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
My guess is that at least 70% have had their first shot or the J&J shot, in Sumter County. I think the reason for that, is because it has a LOT of people who are older than 65, which means they had access to a vaccine longer than anyone else. On the other hand, there are neighborhoods and sections of the county that are NOT Villages, where families live, who have NOT had access to the vaccine until the past few weeks. So they are less likely to have had their first shot by now, than the seniors.

In addition, up until this month, there were THOUSANDS more seniors here, than there are now. Those seniors also have had their shots. But they're not here anymore. They count in the category of "vaccines distributed in this county" but they don't count as "people who are living here right now who have been vaccinated."

So I don't think the percentage is going to mean much, if you're counting something as vague as "how many people in Sumter County have been vaccinated." If you mean how many seniors, probably a lot more than 60%. If you mean all people who are living in the county at the present moment, I'd say closer to 60%. If you mean ONLY villagers, and no other residents, I'd say probably closer to 80%.
According to the Florida Department of Health, Florida vaccinated just over 190,000 seasonal folks who live in Florida in the winter but have a permanent addresses elsewhere. They are not counted as part of the 80,000 residents of Sumter County that have been vaccinated.

There are approximately 124,000 permanent residents of Sumter County over the age of 16. So about 64% of those residents have at least one vaccine, 52% are fully vaccinated.

If you look at the number for those 55 and older in Sumter County, those numbers are 80% at least one vaccine, 67% fully vaccinated. I’d guess that is also the percentage for The Villages.