View Single Post

Old 04-27-2021, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Ah, yes, what a surprise — snide comments from the patrol boys. Not sure why some posters think they have to judge and approve every question.

Anyway, OP (TNGary), I understand what you are asking — because I also like to talk generally about individual stocks sometimes.

It looks like you are watching T closely. That dividend is tempting and you are aware of the debt thing.

I need to look at whether they have increased the dividend again. CEOs do not like to lose the status that goes with years and years of consecutive dividend increases — even if the increase has to be a tiny one. (I am going to look this up later.)

If you don’t own any T right now, you might want to buy a few shares — which will make it more interesting for you to follow, without betting the farm. See how owning it makes you feel. (Yeah, I have to determine how a stock makes me “feel” but maybe that’s a woman thing. )

I looked this morning to see how Fidelity’s rating looked and the computer-generated number was at the low end of neutral. But I am never sure what goes into that number.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion, and good luck with your decision.

Boomer
The rules of the game have changed dramatically. First of all access to information and opinion is easy to find. You mention Fidelity. They offer no commission trades. You can buy partial shares. I regularly discover what I don't know. Much is rumor and opinion. A trade of say 100 shares. It sometimes shows say 10 trades to fill an order for 100 shares. Three shares, six shares, 20 shares etc oh and all at the same tenth of a second. No commission, and no advantage to buying round lots-100 shares, makes it a whole new ballgame.

In an IRA it is supposed to be TAX FREE till you withdraw the funds and they are taxed at you regular income rate. That, right now small nuance TAX they charge you every time you sell. Ask them about this TAX and they will spin it as a FEE not a tax. A tax by any other name is still a tax. Bring it up and they may well ask if you know DAVE.

I think it was Ben Franklin who said watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.