View Single Post

Old 05-04-2021, 04:12 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTV Team View Post
This section is dedicated to the memory of the loved ones we have lost. When creating your post please format with the name and dates of your loved one in the subject line, then your dedication in the body of the thread. Please include a picture. As long as TOTV exists this will be a permanent place to honor our loved ones forever.

Feel free to leave pictures or videos you may have of any of our 'Eternal Members' under their Memoriam so there is a permanent record of our loved ones and you can share your memories as well here for everyone to enjoy.

I debated about whether to stick my nose in here, but then decided to go ahead. . .

I realize the TOTV Team thinks this is a nice idea, but I feel like I need to make the team and other TOTVers aware of the fact that obituaries can be gold mines for scammers.

Obituaries reveal a lot of information that can be used to take advantage of the bereaved and to steal the identity of the deceased.

I have noticed that in recent times, some obituaries include not only names and dates, as usual, but also a whole lot of personal information.

As a matter of course, obituaries are made public on funeral home sites, and I am sure there are scumbags who cruise those for opportunities. But before posting additionally on a public forum, especially one geared to seniors, may I suggest thinking about the potential for unintended consequences.

A couple of years ago, I heard a speaker give a presentation about scams that target seniors. He brought up this issue.

Here is an article with more information and advice:

Grieving Loved Ones Targeted in Obituary Scams

Boomer